Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WIC Rennes

The dilemma in Rennes is usually what wheels to wear. Nearly every year it rains or at least threatens to rain. This year there was absolutely no rain in sight and I could step on the start line with no doubt in my mind that I had the right wheel on.

Unfortunately the fields weren’t as large as previous years; there have been a lot of races clash with one another this year. The course was 2.8 km a lap and had a bit of variety. There was a right hand corner leading into the finish straight and after the finish line there was a small section of tiles and then a small uphill. Around the other side of the course there were some nice straight stretches and just a few rough spots.

I attacked early after the first prime sprint which was on lap one, but no one was really keen to try lead with me. Cecilia was stuck to me like super glue the entire race but wasn’t keen to hit the lead whenever we formed a gap. It was clear from the start she just wanted to wait for the sprint finish.

Just before half way there were five of us left in the leading group which included Cecilia Baena, Justine Halbout, Melissa Chouleysko, Jessica Gaudesaboos and myself. Jessica dropped off early on and when I picked up the pace Melissa would yo-yo on and off the group. The only one that even attempted to lead was Melissa and apart from a few efforts at the front from her I lead the rest of the way.

Photo - Francois & Marie

Justine tried to get a jump about 1km out from the finish but wasn’t able to. I passed her leading into the right hand corner and Cecilia passed me about half way down the finishing straight to win the race. I finished 2nd, Justine 3rd and Melissa 4th. Samantha Michael skating for X-Tech Wheelz New Zealand finished up 9th again.

Photos - Francois & Marie

Bart Swings and Yann Guyader just caught Nicolas on the finishing straight and Bart took the victory.

I’m now in Worgl, Austria for the track racing this coming weekend. In Rennes I hurt my ankle a little by catching my skate in a rivet or bit of uneven road while on an outside edge. I saw a doctor today and it’s nothing too serious and I shouldn’t cause any more damage by skating but it will still be uncomfortable. So fingers crossed it’s a bit better by race time.

5 comments:

  1. Keeping fingers crossed that you'll do very well in Worgl, so that you get high in EuroCup ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. unfortunately my results don't count towards the Europa Cup because I'm not registered with a European club. So I'm just there to race, not accumulate points :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, why dont you register with a European Club? I'm sure you can find many, and would be perfect to add yourself an extra motivation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year I'm not doing enough of the Europa Cup races, I think this will be my last one. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Nicole.
    First congratulation to 2nd place even you deserved to win, since you have set the pace.

    Second. Have you started the race together with the men ?

    Third. The pictures you are referring to in your block are great. Great photographer.

    have a successful race weekend.
    Enjoy - rgds Markus

    ReplyDelete